Instructions: 1. Wash chicken and divide each chicken piece in two. Dry and rub with seasoning included in B. Set in refrigerator overnight.
2. In a "Caldero" or heavy kettle, heat fat and brown rapidly salt pork and ham. Reduce to moderate and add chicken. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add ingredients in D and saute for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile drain liquid from can of peas into a measuring cup and enough water to make 2.5 cups, if regular rice is used or 3.5 if long rice is used. Reserve peas. Heat liquid and wait.
5. Add to kettle ingredients in E and mix over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
6. Add hot liquid to kettle and mix well and cook uncovered over moderate heat until rice is dry.
7. With a fork turn rice from bottom to top.
8. Cover kettle and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Halfway during this cooking period turn rice over again.
9. Add peas, turn rice once more and cover, cooking for 15 minutes in low heat.
10. Spoon rice into a serving platter.
11. Heat pimientos in their juices, drain and garnish the rice. Serve at once.
Email this Recipe:
If you would like to email yourself the recipe for later use, or share the recipe with your friends or family, enter the email addresses below and this recipe will be emailed to you and others as well.